Tuesday, June 7, 2011

They Put Their Limbs in Four States in Four Corners

I am still waiting for photos of the total body experience in four states, but here is a photo of the monument where New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona and Utah meet at 90 degree angles:



Paul told me that Nolan picked out a piece of jewelry for me from a Navaho jewelry maker vendor at Four Corners.  I can't wait to see my guys.

After they did their photo ops at Four Corners and were headed west/southwest to get to Monument Valley, Paul said that they were driving in the middle of nowhere and it could have been the end of civilization for all they knew.  By this time it was late afternoon--that day they woke up in the mountains north of Taos, NM and they still had to get to Monument Valley and then Page, Arizona for their hotel.  I was worried about all the driving but Paul likes to drive and the Suburban and the boys were doing fine.

I spoke to Paul while they were filling up with gasoline in Kayenta, AZ before they headed up the road to Monument Valley.  I told him I read there was a Navaho Code Talker Museum in a Burger King nearby.  But they had many miles to go and didn't visit it. 

I read that the Burger King's owner is the son of a Navaho Code Talker, who said he has more memorabilia there than at the Pentagon.  I also read that in a year or so there will be a "complete" museum south of here in Window Rock, AZ next to NM, near Gallup. 

It is amazing to me what they boys learn on these road trips that they bring to the classroom (and what Paul brings to the classroom too).  For example, after our trip to South Dakota, Riley could apply so much of what we saw into his Earth Science class.  Same with the alluvial fan we saw in the Rocky Mountain National Park.  Not to mention the actually Oregon Trail wagon wheel ruts we saw in Guernsey, Wyoming.

So on they went to see Monument Valley:


 Here is another photo, and I am sure there'll be more:


Then they had another two hours to go to get to their Days Inn & Suites in Page, Arizona (voted number one on Trip Advisor).  I still can't get my head around how Monument Valley in AZ does follow Daylight Savings time but everywhere else in Arizona does not.  Paul said that the drive into Page, Arizona was absolutely gorgeous.

So their fourth night on the road from Georgia and they are in Page, Arizona, by Lake Powell where the Grand Canyon's Colorado River begins (well, not really....we saw where it actually begins two summers ago, at the Continental Divide on top of the Ricky Mountain National Park in Colorado).

One night out of four was tent camping so far, but there is to be more tent camping because the next two nights they'll be on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

No comments: